- Personal and Non-Personal Information
- Third Parties
- Payment Processors
- Limited Purpose
- Lawful Basis
- Types of Third Parties
- Third Party Precautions
- Place of Business
- Transfer Mechanisms
- Privacy Shield
- Data Protection Officer
- Our Collection, Security, and Retention Policies
- Your Practices and Activities
- Right to Access, Correct, Delete, or Restrict Processing
- Right to Lodge a Complaint
- Cookies and Tracking Pixels
- Third Party Cookies
- Google Analytics
- Browser Settings
We at ArenaNet work hard to provide high quality gaming experiences. With so many individuals logging into and connecting through our games, we understand the importance of your privacy. Maintaining your privacy and the trust of our users is important to us. We may store, process, and, under certain circumstances share your information, to provide you Services.
We may collect two types of information from you. “Personal information” is information that would allow someone to identify or contact an individual. “Non-Personal Information” is all other information and may include combined information that does not identify an individual. We use this information for internal purposes like improving the site or customizing content.
|Examples of Personal Information||Examples of Non-Personal Information|
|• Full name
• Date of birth
• Email address
• IP address, device ID, MAC address
• Phone number, street address
• Social media account (Twitter handle, Facebook account, etc.), Steam ID
• Credit card information, bank information through our third party payment processors
|• In-game ID, character name, gameplay history
• Account identification number
• Purchase and account history
• Computer operating system, system specifications, game file version
• Mobile OS Version
• Internet browser type
• Your “click path” through our websites
• The advertisement or link that brought you to our website
You provide Personal Information directly to us through the Services, for example when you:
- Register for an account, or a contest or giveaway
- Complete questionnaires
- Order products
- Send email messages, submit forms, or contact us
We do not directly collect your payment information and we do not store your payment information. We use third party payment processors who do collect payment information on our behalf to complete transactions. Specifically, payment and billing processors and credit card verification services may collect Personal information to process some transactions depending on the payment method you use. If you do not provide this Personal Information, they will not be able to complete the transaction you have requested.
We use Personal Information for the purpose for which you provided it, for example:
- We may use contact and identification information like phone number, address, or social media profile information to contact you about our Services, for customer support, to provide you with marketing, or to contact you regarding an event or contest.
- We use billing data, including some credit card information or bank information for purchases and customer support requests about refunds and chargebacks.
We only collect, use, or store your Personal Information if:
- You voluntarily provide it to us with your specific and informed consent (for example, when signing up for our newsletters),
- It is necessary to provide you a Service that you have requested (for example, providing you access to our games), or
- We have a legitimate business interest that is not outweighed by your privacy rights (for example, maintaining records of sales through our online store).
We may need, and may require from you, certain Personal Information to provide our Services to you or to complete a transaction. You understand and accept that we will collect, use, and store your Personal Information based on the business purpose of fulfilling your requests and maintaining records of our Services to you. If you do not provide the Personal Information we need, we will not be able to process the transaction or provide the requested Service.
With your consent, we also may use your Personal Information to create a profile for marketing campaigns, including on social media or through email. We use the information we collect to learn what you like, tailor your experience accordingly, and to improve our websites and our other products.
To provide you with access to our Services, we may share your Personal Information with the following types of third parties:
- • Fraud detection and management services, authentication services, and risk services
- • Customer support and localization vendors
- • Marketing platforms
- • Social media websites, server providers, and email providers
- • Moderation and user experience providers
- • Fulfillment houses
- We do not sell or share Personal Information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
- We may work with third parties to provide you some contests, sweepstakes, promotions, or surveys, and when accessing, purchasing, or subscribing to one of the Services. During the registration process, we or a third party may ask you for certain Personal Information, such as your mailing address. If you do not provide this Personal Information, we may not be able to provide the Service you have requested.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to law enforcement or other appropriate third parties in connection with criminal, fraud, infringement, other investigations related to suspected illegal activities, as may be required by applicable law, or to protect the legitimate legal and business interests of ArenaNet.
We take reasonable precautions before sharing your Personal Information with third parties and require that they provide adequate protections.
- If third parties are collecting, using, or storing your Personal Information on our behalf, we require that they have a legitimate basis for doing so, reasonably limit their retention and use, and use appropriate security measures regarding your Personal Information.
- While we review the privacy and security policies of the third parties we work with, some third parties may provide additional terms in their privacy policies, which may control their use and storage of your Personal Information.
When transferring Personal Information out of the EU, we implement safeguards to protect your Personal Information. We use European Commission approved standard contractual clauses, Privacy Shield certification, Binding Corporate Rules, or implement other similar measures required by applicable law. We will provide you with a copy of the relevant mechanism for your review on request.
We protect your Personal Information through a combination of collection, security, and retention policies.
- We only keep your Personal Information for as long as we need it, unless you agreed to allow us to use it for some other purpose or to comply with any statutory, regulatory, or business obligations. We respect requests to stop processing your Personal Information for marketing purposes. This includes keeping a record of your stop processing request indefinitely so that we can respect your request in future.
- We use all reasonable methods to keep the Personal Information we collect and use in a secure environment, and we have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures that are designed to protect Personal Information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use, and modification. As part of our privacy compliance processes we review these security procedures regularly to consider new technology and methods.
You can take certain steps to help protect your Personal Information, such as being careful what you post in public places.
- Do not use your real name when selecting a username. Your username will be available to the internet’s general public while you participate in some Services, like forums, chat rooms, or message boards, so you should exercise discretion when using these Services.
- Do not post your real name through the Services, and never tell anyone online anything private about yourself, including your phone number or address. Use usernames and not real names at all times.
- To the extent that you are able to and do create a public profile that may be available to others on our Services, you are solely responsible for its content and accuracy at all times.
You have the right to lodge a complaint regarding our collection, processing, or storage of your Personal Information with a data protection supervisory authority in a country where you live, work, or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
- Assisting you in navigating or displaying certain types of content;
- Assisting you in registration to our events, logging in, and your ability to provide feedback;
- Analyzing your use of our Services, counting visits, collecting aggregated user data, and traffic sources; and
- Tracking our promotional and marketing efforts.
- Google Ads Settings (http://www.google.com/settings/ads),
- the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/), or
- NAI’s consumer opt-out (http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/).
You may set your browser setting to attempt to reject the cookies and tracking identifiers, and you may still use our websites. However, you may be limited in some areas of our websites, or you may have to enter passwords or identifying information more than once.
- If you are under 13, you may not use our Services. ArenaNet will not knowingly collect, maintain, or disclose any Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are ordinarily resident in the European Union any reference to an age of 13 shall be deemed a reference to the age in your home country, below which, children receive additional legal data protections.
- If you are a parent or guardian of a child who has submitted Personal Information, you can contact us about removing that information, and ArenaNet will take reasonable steps to remove that information. To request removal of your child’s information, please send us an email and be sure to include in your message the same username and email address that your child submitted. If your child has used your credit card on our websites, games, or services without your permission, contact us immediately.
- We provide registered users the ability to post information on our Services. If you are a California resident who is under 18 and a registered user and you are unable to remove content or information you posted in a public area following the instructions provided, you may request removal by contacting us. When requesting removal you must be specific about the information or content you want to remove and provide the URL for each place it is located. We are not required to remove any content or information that: (a) we, or a third party, are legally required to maintain; (b) was not posted by you; (c) is anonymized so that you cannot be identified; (d) is not based on a request that follows our instructions for removing or requesting removal; or (e) you received compensation or other consideration for providing the content or information.
- California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request information from us concerning any disclosures of Personal Information we may have made in the prior calendar year to third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and you wish to request information about our compliance with this law or our privacy practices, you may contact us.
Our mailing address is:
3180 139th Avenue SE, Suite 500
Bellevue, WA 98005, USA
Our customer service email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our privacy email is email@example.com.
Last updated May 2018