Guild Wars 2 Forum Code of Conduct
YOU MUST READ, UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THE PROVISIONS OF THIS FORUMS CODE OF CONDUCT BEFORE AND BY CLICKING “I ACCEPT” BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU MUST CLICK “I REJECT” BELOW.
Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 Forums. To ensure that your stay is as pleasant and constructive as possible, we require all forum members to read and agree to this Forums Code of Conduct.
- Keep it clean
- Keep it civil
- Stay on topic
- Be responsible
- Share your knowledge
- Report posts for removal if they violate these standards
Code of Conduct
The Guild Wars 2 Forums are intended to provide Guild Wars 2 players with a friendly environment to exchange information, get the latest news, share community-created content, interact with ArenaNet staff members, and discuss Guild Wars 2 with other members of the community. The forums also furnish a place to report game bugs directly to the developers and support team and, when needed, to follow up on account or support issues. This Code of Conduct explains the behavior that is expected of all community members. Your use of the Guild Wars 2 Forums constitutes acceptance of this Code of Conduct.
Although the administrators and moderators of Guild Wars 2 Forums will attempt to address objectionable forum messages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. Each message expresses the views of the author, and neither ArenaNet nor NCsoft will be held responsible for the content of any message. Please use the Report Button to flag objectionable messages for review by the moderation team.
To enable ArenaNet (as defined below) to make use of forum member contributions and suggestions related to its games, including but not limited to any text, ideas, art, bug reports, suggestions of any kind or other contributions (“Contributions”), all such Contributions are hereby assigned with all right, title, and interest, including without limitation all intellectual property rights, to ArenaNet, Inc. and its affiliates (including without limitation NCsoft Corporation, NC Interactive, Inc. and NCsoft Europe Ltd.), successors and assigns (collectively “ArenaNet”) and shall be deemed the property of ArenaNet. Users agree that no further permission or payment of any kind is necessary to fully exploit Contributions in any medium now known or hereinafter invented throughout the world. ArenaNet hereby grants a limited license back to users to use, distribute, re-publish, and create derivative works from such Contributions solely for non-commercial purposes. Such license to Contributions may be revoked by ArenaNet for any violation of this Code of Conduct.
You represent and warrant that the Contributions do not violate the intellectual property or other rights of any other party and agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless ArenaNet from and against all losses, damages, costs, and expenses caused by, associated with, or arising from your Contributions.
Forum moderators have full discretion to address any behavior that they feel is inappropriate. Your membership and participation in these forums is a privilege and not a right. ArenaNet reserves the right to suspend or terminate your access to these forums and/or to the game itself at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by this Code of Conduct.
ArenaNet may amend or modify this Code of Conduct in its sole discretion any time and from time to time. While this Code of Conduct outlines specific examples, there will always be incidents that will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the moderation staff. ArenaNet has the sole right to interpret and apply this Code of Conduct to any specific circumstance and situation, and its judgment is final.
You agree to the following guidelines, which will help cultivate a user-friendly environment in the Guild Wars 2 Forums:
- Read the forum before asking a question. There’s a good chance your question has already been answered.
- Use the search function before posting. This will focus the discussion and facilitate a response.
- Stay on topic and create a new post for tangentially related topics.
- Do not cross post. Post your message once in the appropriate sub-forum and nowhere else; otherwise it will be locked or removed without warning.
- Use a relevant thread title that clearly expresses the subject of the thread.
- Avoid frivolous and duplicate postings.
- The official language of this forum is English. Please post and respond in that language only.
- Signatures may not exceed three lines of text with a maximum of 100 characters per line; signatures may not contain images.
- Do not post in all capital letters; do not use “leetspeek,” excessive punctuation, colored text, alternating lower case and capital letters, etc. Please refrain from these and other similar attention-seeking tactics to draw attention to your post. Let your post stand on its own merits.
- Do not spam. This includes bumping threads or making posts that lack content.
- Be respectful. Be pleasant to forum members, staff members, and moderators.
- Do not use profanity, insults, or personal attacks. If you have a problem with another member, contact a moderator.
- Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words “ArenaNet” or any staff member’s name will not expedite the answer to your query.
- Do not engage in personal attacks against forum moderators or ArenaNet staff. You may contact staff directly at email@example.com if you wish to discuss a staff member’s decision. Please note that abuse of staff members or moderators in forum posts or private messages may result in forum account termination.
- Do not submit “trolling” posts or threads. We define “trolling” as commenting in a manner intended to elicit overly strong negative and emotional responses for mere shock value, attempting to derail threads, persistently posting off-topic, or engaging in personal attacks on another forum member. Accounts made with the sole intent to “troll” will be terminated.
- Do not engage in personal attacks against forum members or in character assassination. Posts that attack another member, that single out a player for ridicule, or that accuse someone of inappropriate in-game actions will be removed without notice. In-game violations should be reported directly to our Support Team. If you believe that using the support system did not result in a sufficient or timely response, you may post your concern in the Support section of the forums.
- Do not debate Customer Support decisions or actions. Threads or posts designed to announce, appeal, or contest your own or another player’s suspension or account termination—be it forum or game account—will be removed without notice.
- Do not post about locked, deleted, or otherwise moderated threads or posts. Moderation happens for a reason. A staff member or moderator may lock a thread before posting in order to promptly curtail continued comments. If you have yet to see a comment by a staff member on a locked thread, please wait for the comment to appear and do not post a new thread on the subject. If you have questions regarding forum moderation, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not circumvent the word filter. The Support Forum, like the game, is filtered for appropriate language. Any attempt to circumvent this filter will not be tolerated including the use of “creative spelling” or of forum names or signatures that contain a word that is censored by the prohibited words filter.
- Do not post petitions, “I demand an answer” threads, conspiracy threads, or comments about circumventing the rules.
- Do not post on behalf of a suspended or banned user.
- Do not make alternate forum accounts. Users are permitted one account per person. Alternate accounts will be terminated, and users involved in creating alternate accounts will be subject to discipline at the discretion of the moderator staff.
- Do not post any information in this forum that is covered by any form of NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Such information will be removed and the member’s forum account will be terminated. Further, if the game is an ArenaNet game, the post will be removed, and the related ArenaNet game account will be terminated. Such breaches may also result in your disqualification from participation in any future ArenaNet testing programs and/or your removal from all other current ArenaNet testing programs.
- Do not breach the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement. Any post or thread in which a player admits to violating the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement, encourages others to violate the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement, or violates the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement itself will be removed and the forum account will be terminated.
- Do not post legal action threads. Using the forums or PMs to encourage, promote, endorse, or incite any kind of legal action against the company or any individual is strictly prohibited. Such content will be removed, and the author’s posting privileges will be permanently revoked.
- If you wish to report a post, use the Report Post button located on the post in question. Please, do not create a new forum thread linking to posts or threads that you feel should be moderated. Reported posts will be reviewed by the moderator staff and addressed as necessary.
- You are responsible for making sure that your account information, particularly your email address, is current and complete.
- All forum content is permitted or removed at the discretion of ArenaNet.
You further agree not take any action, upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any content that:
- infringes or violates any third party rights;
- violates any law or regulation;
- transmits real-life personal information about other players or ArenaNet personnel;
- which insultingly refers to other characters, players, ArenaNet personnel, or groups of people;
- involves the use of illegal drugs or performing illegal activities;
- is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- that insultingly refers to any aspect of sexual orientation pertaining to themselves or other players;
- which insultingly portrays major religions or religious figures;
- which promotes hatred of any kind, including that based on nation, race, religion, age, sex, gender orientation, or culture.
- that refers to violent sexual acts or real life violent actions, pornography, inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions, gratuitously offensive content, or content which refers to violence in any capacity that is not directly related to the game world;
- would violate any right or duty under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under non-disclosure agreements)
- advertises any businesses, organizations, or websites; shows unreleased in-game items, equipment, or areas that have been unlocked via hacking into client data files
In addition, you agree not to do any of the following:
- Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an ArenaNet employee, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content as determined by ArenaNet in its sole discretion that contains any cheats, hacks, viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data, or personal information. If you would like to legitimately report such material, please contact our Customer Support Team;
- Upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation;
- Interfere with or disrupt the Guild Wars 2 Forums, servers or networks associated with the Guild Wars 2 Forums, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks associated with the Guild Wars 2 Forums;
- Attempt to gain access to a password, other account information, or other private information. Remember: ArenaNet and NCsoft personnel will NEVER ask for your password. Do not reveal your password, reminder words, or billing information to anyone;
- Advertise or solicit the sale or trade of a Guild Wars 2 account; advertise or solicit the sale or trade of any account or item related to another game; advertise or solicit the sale of gold or items for real world currency; promote or aid in any such transaction;
- Improperly use the customer support ticketing system or make false reports to ArenaNet staff members;
- Provide false information or intentionally hide any information when registering for your Guild Wars 2 account;
- Post profanity or otherwise objectionable content in your profile.
- “Stalk” or otherwise harass another member.
You agree that ArenaNet may take whatever steps it deems necessary to maintain a suitable forum environment at its sole discretion and without notice to you.
We believe that this Code of Conduct is based on common sense. The rules are intended to keep the Guild Wars 2 Forums a useful and constructive place for players to interact with other players and with ArenaNet staff members. We ask for your cooperation and support in creating a healthy, constructive place to achieve these goals.
Thank you for being a part of the Guild Wars 2 Forums! We welcome your suggestions and feedback on how to make this a better place for players with customer support concerns. Please send an email to email@example.com, and we will be pleased to review it. Due to the volume of mail we receive, we cannot answer every email, but we read everything.
Last Update: 24 April 2012