Starting Tuesday, June 25:
Upon logging into Guild Wars 2, you’ll receive a mail from Lionguard Inspector Ellen Kiel notifying you that you’ve been deputized to pursue the sky pirates known as the Aetherblades. Heralds at major cities will help guide you as well.
Aetherblade Retreat Story Dungeon
- The Aetherblade Retreat is available to players of all levels. The entrance to this story dungeon has been discovered in Lion’s Arch near the Diverse Ledges. Head there and up the ramp next to the waterfall. A nearby Lionguard will point you towards a secret entrance hidden by a holographic rock face behind the waterfall. Form a party of five and enter the dungeon, which starts in an underground passage.
- Swim underwater and avoid mines to reach Inspector Kiel, who will follow you through the dungeon.
- Defeating the initial group of Aetherblades in Scoundrel’s Hovel will open up the door to the underground crevasse beyond.
- Time your run through the electrified gates to reach the controls, which you’ll need to interact with to turn off. Follow catwalks up to where Aetherblades are dancing with a hologram. Defeating them will open the exit to the beach below, the start of The Wretched Walk.
- Defeat the Aetherblades guarding the door that’s flanked by two shielded cannons on overhead ledges. Avoid the cannon barrage, defeat the Aetherblade waves, and push through the doors to circle back to defeat the cannons.
- When you arrive at Frizz’s lab, Kleptotronic Advanced Designs, Kiel will use the console to let you in.
- Initially, Frizz will attack with his Aetherblades.
- Once he’s weakened, Frizz will summon a golem and a short electrified wall will rotate around the room. The golem will be buffed if the wall passes over it. Climb crates in the room to get high enough to jump over the wall.
- Defeating the golem will bring out two more and a tall wall that cannot be jumped over.
- The final stage has two golems and both short and tall walls rotating at different speeds.
- Follow the asura tunnel to a beach swarming with Aetherblades. Beyond are long rope bridges spanning the raging sea below. Time your trip across the rope bridges to avoid lightning strikes. Defeat the pirates waiting at the middle isle and continue across the second bridge.
- Upon entering the next room, look to your right to find a console to turn off the lightning strikes. Laying waste to the Aetherblades here will open the exit to a final rope bridge. Be sure to check the back room for an Aetherblade Cache.
- The next area, Deceit’s Climb, has a more Inquest influence. Battle up the passage to a room with jump pads. Use these to ascend to the top. You’ll need to open the door for Kiel to get around; then she’ll use the console to give you access to Rogue’s Landing and the end boss battle with the Aetherblade Captain Mai Trin and her First Mate Horrik.
- We’ll let you discover the specifics of the final encounter yourselves, but if you’ve been paying attention to mechanics used throughout the dungeon, you should find yourself equal to the task. Beware, though – Mai Trin’s deadly rapier and Horrik’s brutal cannon combine to pose quite the challenge!
- If you defeat Mai and Horrik quickly, you’ll have a chance to disable the escaping airship for an extra achievement.
Sea of Sorrows Plaques
- Scattered across Tyria are a dozen interactable plaques that follow the footsteps of Cobiah Marriner, the founder of Lion’s Arch.
“I say we build a port of our own. We build it, and we defend it against Orr. We make it a free port, not beholden to any nation, open to anyone who sails the sea. We’ll teach others how to fight against the Dead Ships, using charr weaponry, asuran innovation, and human courage.”…”The port would be open to any and all, so long as they’ll fight against Orr and help to keep our waters clear.” – Cobiah Marriner
- Start in Lion’s Arch, just below the White Crane Terrace, where Cobiah Marriner’s statue overlooks Sanctum Harbor. At its base, talk to Cassin Hoppal, who’ll help start you on the history buff achievement in the explorer category.
- There are 11 plaques scattered throughout Lion’s Arch, including the Marriner’s statue. One last plaque is found in Malchor’s Leap. For additional information, Cobiah’s journey can be followed in the Sea of Sorrows novel.
- Hidden in existing jumping puzzles and mini-dungeons are Aetherblade Caches, small chest rewards guarded by a few Aetherblades. Reaching each chest is an achievement and is tracked by the achievement Caching Out.
- The Blackout Cache is in the Obsidian Sanctum in Zraith’s Beacon.
- The Cantle Cache is in the Hidden Garden at Mount Maelstrom.
- The Troll Cache is in Sector Zuhl in Timberline Falls.
- The Vexing Cache is in Fireheart Rise Vexa’s Lab.
- The Mad Cache is located by Goemm’s Lab in Metrica Province.
- The Weeping Cache is in Caledon Forest at the Tears of Itlaocol.
- The Shipshape Cache is found in Fawcett’s Bounty in the Harathi Hinterlands.
Dragon Bash continues
- The Captain’s Council wants to assure citizens of Lion’s Arch that Dragon Bash will continue uninterrupted despite disturbances. All Dragon Bash activities and rewards (except the The Big Boom in the Big City achievement) in the city and surrounding explorable areas will remain available until July 9.
- If you want to catch up with Braham, Rox, or Kasmeer, you can visit them in Cragstead, North Nolan Hatchery, and the Grand Piazza of Lion’s Arch respectively.
New Items and Rewards
- For completion of the Aetherblade Retreat Story Dungeon, you have a chance to earn utility buff recipes, Aetherized Metal Scraps, or a tonic recipe to transform into Horrik.
- Dungeon completers also get a guaranteed Dragon Coffer with a rare chance for 100 Dragon Coffers.
- There is also a rare chance for a Monocle in the end boss chest of the Aetherblade Retreat.
- Finding all of the Marriner Plaques will award you a Sea of Sorrows book item that gives you five skill points.
- 20 new achievements focused on the Sky Pirates of Tyria release, including the story dungeon and the hidden Aehterblade Caches, have been added. Against the Aetherblades is the meta achievement which requires completion of 12 of the possible 20 achievements and will reward a First Mate Horrik miniature.
- Reading all 12 Marriner Plaques will complete the History Buff achievement in the Explorer Category.